Eggs! For a ‘clean eater’ eggs are the dream ingredient as there are so many options to what you can make with them. Fast, easy breakfasts. Poached, boiled, scrambled…. or in a tortilla like the recipe below shared by the heavenly Helen Dodd in our Clean Eating Facebook group. *Thank you Helen* Try it out, you’ll have snacks for days.
Makes 12-16 slices
300g baby spinach leaves
8 tbsp olive oil (I changed this to coconut oil 6 tbsp as I don’t have olive oil)
3 red onions, thinly sliced
800g of peeled sweet potatoes – thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves – finely chopped
8 large eggs
1. Put spinach into a large colander and pour over a kettleful of boiling water. Drain well and when cooled a little, squeeze dry (try not to mush up the spinach too much)
2. Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil (coconut oil) in a non-stick pan with a lid, sweat the onions for 15 mins until really soft but not coloured. Add another 3 tbsp of olive oil (2 tbsp of coconut oil) and add the potatoes and garlic. Mix in with the onions and season well. Cover and cook over a gentle heat for another 15 mins or until the potatoes are very tender. Stir occasionally to stop them catching (but be careful not to break them up near the end of the 15 mins)
3. Whisk the eggs in a large bowl, tip in the cooked potato and the onion and mix together. Separate the spinach clumps and add to the mix and fold through, trying not to break up the potato too much.
4. Add 2 tbsp of olive oil (1 tbsp of coconut oil) to a 25 cm non-stick pan and pour in the sweet potato and egg mix. Cook over a low medium heat for 20 mins (can cover if you have a lid) until the base and sides are golden brown and the center has mostly set. Run a palette knife or something similar round the sides to stop it from sticking.
5. To turn the Tortilla over, put a plate face down onto the pan and then flip it over. Slide the tortilla back into the pan and cook for a further 5 -10 mins until just set and golden all over.
6. Continue cooking until it’s just set and golden all over – allow to rest for 5 mins before tipping onto a board/plate and cutting into wedges.
Want to check out some more of the recipes our clean eaters have to share during their #8weekCEC visit our Clean Eating Facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/438396419704128/